What you need to know about wild game care in the field and how to clean:
1. Immediately after shooting a deer, especially a large buck, it is important to get the back legs spread and the brisket and neck region opened to allow the animal to cool properly.
2. Never hold deer meat in a garage for long periods of time. Temperature fluctuates and affects the quality of deer.
3. Never put wild game into black garbage bags. Clear plastic or ziploc bags are preferred.
4. Wash your carcass or quarter of deer after skinning or before de-boning for best results
5. When de-boning your own wild game at home, please freeze your venison in ten pound bags or smaller. Most home freezers do not go below zero degrees. ther more meat you have in a bag the longer is takes to freeze.
6. Never soak your deer meat in water. This allows or encourages bacteria growth.